What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is the medical condition characterized by pain caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve - the longest nerve in our bodies. The most common cause of this condition is a slipped or herniated disk that creates pressure on the nerve root. The sciatic condition is quite common and affects approximately 40% of people in the United States, who experience it at least once during their lifetime.
Symptoms of the condition include the following:
- A shooting pain that makes it hard and painful to stand up
- Lower back pain
- Tingling or burning sensation down the leg
- Pain in the hips
- Numbness, weakness, and difficulty moving the affected leg or foot
The following categories of people are at greater risk of the sciatic condition:
- People with back and spine injuries.
- Overweight people. The more weight you have, the higher pressure on the spine and the nerve root is.
- People with a weak core. The core includes the muscles of the abdomen and the back. Therefore, the weaker your core is, the less support your lower back has.
- People having physical and active jobs. Jobs requiring heavy lifting or prolonged standing and sitting may increase the chances of getting the sciatic condition.
- People with diabetes
- Smokers. The nicotine contained in tobacco can damage the spinal cord, weaken bones and muscles, and speed up the process of wearing down of vertebral disks.
Treatment of Sciatic Condition and Sciatic Nerve Pain
Most patients with this condition recover after a few weeks by using at-home remedies. If the sciatic nerve pain is not going away and stopping you from doing daily activities, your doctor can recommend the following treatment options:
- Physical therapy
- Exercising and stretching
- Limited bed rest
- Taking medications (anti-inflammatory and non-steroidal drugs)
In the most severe cases, surgery may be recommended, including discectomy and laminectomy.
How A Chiropractor Can Help?
Chiropractic care has proven to be effective in relieving sciatic pain naturally and gently. By using spinal manipulations, a chiropractor can treat the sciatic condition without harmful and costly side effects. Chiropractors use the following treatment options:
- Massage therapy.
- Heat and cold therapies
- Ultrasound and other modalities
- Spinal decompression
- Chiropractic exercises
A chiropractor may also recommend a patient lifestyle and dietary changes to speed up the recovery process and prevent the sciatic condition from happening again.
Call Bay City Rehab & Wellness Today!
Sciatic pain can be disturbing and deliberating. If it is not disappearing after a couple of weeks, it is time to see a specialist. Bay City Rehab & Wellness located in Tampa, FL is the clinic that specializes in the techniques of chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, and massage to treat different types of acute and chronic pain. If you think you may have the sciatic condition, do not hesitate to contact us and schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.